The organized unit of UNITED METHODIST WOMEN (UMW) shall be a community of women whose PURPOSE is to know GOD and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship, and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the Church.
By helping women to grow in their understanding of and willingness to participate in the mission of the church, we remind ourselves of our heritage. We remember women who pioneered in the service for the church at home and abroad and in organizing women for mission service and support in many areas of need.
We pledge our prayers, our time, our gifts and our services to fulfill this purpose. Toward this end, the organized union of UMW shall help women to:
- Enable broad participation of varying interest, ages, ethnic grouping and life styles
- Study and interpret the words and actions the revolutionary message of the gospel
- Discover, confront, and respond to the issues of the day
- Work actively and openly for the elimination of injustice and the liberation of oppressed people
- Prepare themselves for full participation in the total life of the Church and the community
- Assume responsibility for stewardship of time, personnel and funds.
The UMW of First Church meets every month to try to accomplish the purpose and goals of our unit.
We have three small circles who meet every month at the church.
- Edith Miles Circle meets at 7:00 p.m. on the SECOND Mondays of each month. Ingrid Loukota is their Chairperson.
- Martha Circle meets at 7:00 p.m. also on the SECOND Monday of the month. Barbara Miller is their Chairperson.
- Kathryn Eye Circle is our daytime group. They meet on the FIRST Monday at 1:00 p.m. Wilma Foster is their Chairperson.
We also have six general meetings on a Saturday morning at 11:00 a.m., which we announce in the Sunday bulletins and our board in the Fellowship Hall.