Sing for King 2014
Calling Choral Singers! Singers are invited to join a community choir for the 7th annual performance of “Trilogy of Dreams”, a major musical work to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. next January. The piece, composed by the late Dr. Mack Statham, will be performed on Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 7 p.m. in a celebration honoring Dr. King sponsored by the City of Laurel and Laurel Clergy Association. The event will take place at the Laurel High School Auditorium, 8000 Cherry Lane, Laurel.
Rehearsal dates have been set as follows with frequency set on the basis of newly anticipated singers and the supplemental music repertoire necessary for the overall performance. The schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, October 12, 2013 at First UMCL – 424 Main St, Laurel – 10 AM – 12 noon
- Saturday, October 19, 2013 at First UMCL – 424 Main St, Laurel – 10 AM – 12 noon
- Saturday, November 2, 2013 at First UMCL – 424 Main St, Laurel – 10 AM – 12 noon
- Saturday, November 16, 2013 at First UMCL – 424 Main St, Laurel – 10 AM – 12 noon
- Saturday, November 30, 2013 at First UMCL – 424 Main St, Laurel – 10 AM – 12 noon
- Saturday, December 28, 2012 – at First UMCL – 424 Main St, Laurel – 10 AM – 12 noon
- Saturday, January 11, 2014 at TBD – 10 AM – 12 noon
- Saturday, January 18, 2013 at TBD – Dress Rehearsal Time – TBD
Performance – Sunday, January 19, 2013- 7:00P
Singers should attend most of the rehearsals and the dress rehearsal.
Our director for this year’s performance will once again be Mr. Gregory Elliott Lewis. We will look forward to seeing all of you soon.
Quoted below is the letter Dr. Mack composed prior to his passing:
“As all of you know, there have been some very significant civil rights events that have happened this year as well as in the years since the original civil rights march in 1963. To commemorate these events, particularly for 2013, and for the same rationale related to the composition of “Trilogy of Dreams”, I have composed another major work entitled “The Anniversary Trilogy which will be premiered at this year’s performance. This work was just completed less than a week ago amid serious illness and medical treatment. It is my hope that this will be a memorable rendition at this year’s performance. But in order to do that, I am counting on all of you and the other singers to make this happen with the greatest enthusiasm and gusto we have ever demonstrated. I know you won’t let me down so let’s get started strongly, spread the word, grow and let freedom ring throughout this continuing experience.”
To reserve a place in the choir, please e-mail Becky Boeckman at Beckyboeck@aol.com. For questions, call Becky Boeckman at (301) 725-3093.